Hello there! Based on the popularity of this post, I think How to Start a Small Sewing Business is quite a hot topic therefore I have added more links to reliable resources that I discovered on the internet. These resources can help you in starting your own sewing business on the right foot.
(Note: some of the links are affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make any purchases through them.)
For example through the book Sewing to Sell you can learn and get patterns for 16 different projects that are perfectly easy to sew and sell. (You can read my review on this book on the post Sewing to Sell – Book review). However this book will not show you how to set up an Etsy shop and the tips that you need to run your business successfully. And that’s where the awesome courses on Creative Live come in handy which will show you the following:
(PS. Use the code APWELCOME20 to get 20% off on your first order on Creative Live)
- How to Launch Your Handmade Shop: In this course you will get 14 lessons and you will learn how to:
- Set up payments and shop policies
- Begin branding your store
- Create enticing listings
- Make your first (and future) sales
- Turn Your Etsy Shop into a Sales Machine: This class is jam packed with 43 lessons which will teach you 3 baisc things; how to Build an Etsy Storefront That Sells, how to Market Your Etsy Shop to Sold-out Success and Advertising for Creative Business Owners. 5.4k students have enrolled in this class and 98% totally loved it so it must be worth giving a try.
- Craft Photography Fundamentals – where you can learn how to take beautiful pictures to attract the customers and increase sales.
- The Art of Selling What You Make: This class has 44 lessons and this course will give you the concrete, pragmatic tools to connect with customers, make sales, and share the unique things you make with the world.
- How to make a living selling what you make: This class has 44 lessons and you’ll learn how to:
- Generate revenue from the beginning while balancing longer term growth
- Find the best and worst revenue streams for your products
- Set targets, create profitable pricing, and evaluate market demand
- Deepen your product line and build your brand
- Grow your email list and use social media for long-term growth
- Develop production strategies as you start creating more product
- Start a Handmade Business:
- Secrets of Selling at Craft Fairs: How to Get In, Make Sales, and grow your business: In this 39 lessons class learn how to:
- Find and apply to the right show
- Develop your “look” using basic branding
- Prepare for shows with products, checklists, staff, and a pitch
- Merchandise and display products for maximum effect
- Deal with pricing, permits, and taxes
All these classes are taught by experts who have mastered their fields and they have shared their best techniques in these classes.
You might also want to check out the following highly rated books on Amazon about starting and running a successful home based sewing business.
Work From Home Sewing for Absolute Beginners: Work from home sewing for absolute beginners (Only $0.99 on Kindle)
Lastly, for more ideas on types of sewing business you can start, read my guest post on the blog Ayeina.
Be my sewing buddy and get a FREE colorful sewing planner!
Just enter your name and e-mail address in the boxes!