Hello! Are you new to sewing? Are you a self-taught sewist? Do you think you need someone to just give you a walk through the basics of sewing like in a sewing class? Well, then this is post is JUST for you! Here are some free online basic sewing classes to get you started with sewing. The best thing is that they are all FREE and online means that you won’t have to leave the comfort of your home to revise your skills.
*DISCLAIMER: THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS*
Pin this image on your Pinterest board for future references.
This list of free online sewing lessons for beginners contains links to classes that will walk you through the basics of sewing machine, a class that will show you how to do a basic 1/4 perfect stitch, how to sew curved seams as well as zippers. Also included in the list are classes covering topics like how to read sewing patterns, how to cut perfect shapes, sewing machine feet and several others for you to find out as your scroll through the list. These classes are perfect to learn sewing from home. So, what are you waiting for? Start off with your sewing journey all these free online sewing courses and you can have a great start at sewing.
12 Free Online Basic Sewing Classes for Beginners
1) Sewing Machine Basics: Getting intimidated by your new sewing machine? Watch this class before starting off with the basic stitches on your new bff!
3) Basic Sewing: Seams: Get to know how to sew curve stitches and how to sew two pieces together.
4) How to Sew Zippers: Zippers can be hell of a tricky thing but in this 8 minute short video you will learn to pin and sew your zipper, and other finishing techniques.
5) Pressing and Finishing Seams: This is one of the basic technique that you MUST know to give your projects a finishing touch. This video will show you three basic seam techniques.
6) Cutting Squares, Triangles, and Diamonds : So how do you cut a perfect shape for your project? You can find it in this video. These shapes are great for applique work. Believe me, if you master this technique, you’ll save yourself from a lot of frustration in your sewing journey.
7) How to Read a Sewing Pattern Most important for starting ANY garment sewing. I haven’t really tried any patterns yet, so I’m definitely taking this class before beginning garment sewing. In this 37 minutes class you wil learn how to read the pattern envelope, take accurate measurements, fabric recommendations, understand the guide sheet, work with pattern pieces, layout and cutting
9) Topstitching and Edge Stitching: This is the most useful technique to use to give any projects a professional look.
10) Sewing Buttonholes and Buttons: Ah, this is one thing I find really intimidating and honestly I’ve never tried it yet. This free mini class is perfect for those who want to start off on the right foot with sewing buttonholes and buttons.
12) Sewing Machine Feet from A to Z: Now a days sewing machines come with so many different feet. My favorite is the hemming and zipper feet that I use almost all the time. They make life so much easier! Learn the basics of different feet in this class.
The classes below can be watched live for FREE but if you want on-demand access you would have to pay for them.
Beginner Sewing Machines
If you’re a beginner sewist and you would like to purchase a super affordable sewing machine that would be perfect for a beginner you can check out my list of 10 Best Inexpensive Sewing Machines for Beginners. In this list I’ve shared Brother and Singer sewing machines that fall below $200 and would make a perfect sewing machine for a newbie. Check out the post now.
Free sewing patterns
Well, that’s the end of the list sadly. But, I have some bonus stuff for you. How about FREE sewing patterns and tutorials? I know, we all love them. So, head on over to this post and this post to find out where to get FREE sewing patterns from.
A quick review before you leave, in this post I shared 12 free online basic sewing classes that you can take online from the comfort of your home. I also shared some links to free sewing patterns that you can start off with at the first stage of sewing.
So, did you like the list of the classes? Will you be taking any of the classes in future? If you have taken these classes let us know what you think of them in the comments below. Before you leave pin this post for future reference or share with your sewing circle on Facebook. We have sharing icons at the bottom.